Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Mutterings of Madness

The large wrestler Bam Bam Bigelow died this past week at the age of 45 - this once proud purveyor of pugilistic purity was destitute and drug addicted. He'd lost everything material to divorce, and his self-hood to a sense of being past his prime. Rest in peace, big man... So many wrestlers have died around the age of 40 and not for reasons like Bam Bam - some have just over-worked their bodies. The athletic life has its risks, to be sure...

On Jan 19th I celebrated the 14th anniversary of Pooky's arrival in my life - I waxed nostalgic at the memories of her first car ride, and the puppy nonsense she got into... My dear old friend is still with me - more feeble, still peeing on everything, but as loyal and wilful as the day she arrived.

The United Church comes calling tomorrow, to film our comments on their "Song of Faith" - this could be very interesting... Although I don't feel well, I'll find the wherewithal to get on my finest liturgical duds and face the camera. Angeni may be home during this event, as her school's plumbing failed - the kids couldn't use the loo, nor wash their hands all day. Instead they were taken in shifts to the local arena for bathroom jaunts. We'll know in the morning if she is home with us... I don't mind - she is coughing again. Next week she has two PA days on Feb. 1st and 2nd - a very long weekend for her, indeed! We will be visiting my sister and her husband in Sauble Beach. It is Judy's 48th birthday on Ground Hog day - I hope the groundhog doesn't see his shadow!! Nor Judy's!!!

More doctor's visits this week, and more tests all for me - fun, wow... Sunday we have our Midewiwin gathering here and I look forward to seeing these people - I haven't seen most of them since the end of November, and for some, it's been several months.

I'm saddened at the plight of the "Jungle Woman" who wandered out of the woods the other day, only to be harrassed with constant visitation by villagers. She is now being tested by a Spanish psychologist who wishes people would just leave her be... the local policeman is sure it is his daughter who got lost at age 8 - some 18 years ago! He's prepared to do DNA testing to prove it is her... I hope they can have that done sooner than later because this family needs to have a reality check - if she isn't their daughter, they can perhaps find closure over their missing child, and if it IS their daughter, so much of their family information can be used to help her feel a sense of belonging in her healing phase. I can't imagine Angeni losing language, even after 18 years of aloneness, but there you go... truth is stranger than fiction!

Keeping warm in the frigid north...

No comments: