Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dogs, and the People who love them...

With 4 canine children, this house can be chaos... 3 huge dogs and 1 Yorky-poo... All these dogs are unique personalities. Starr a half-newf big goof is the most idiosynchratic of the brigade. He gets dad up as early as 4 AM to start the household chores - he's always done this. He barks when his inner clock says it's time to put the horses to bed, or when the school bus should be arriving, or when the stories aren't being read to Angeni in just the correct manner. Spunky is half-wolf, and the grand matriarch... any puppies brought here over the years have succumbed to her matronly discipline. As large-and-in-charge as she is normally, thundershowers can reduce her to a cowering mass of hysteria. Maxi-poo, Starr's sister just goes along for the ride... not alpha anything, Max is a mellow chick. Her pecadillos include chasing cats and chickens, and warming the couch for mommy. Her only meanness comes with we visit the vet... Poor old Pooky, at 1/15th the size of the others, holds her own. Squirrels and chippies are no match for the Pookster, at least in her 14-year-old mind. The original Max, a male, was killed 3 years ago this week, and I've never seen Brian weep like he did when he found that dog dead. Max was an older sibling to Starr and the current Max... Spike, the 3-legged Poodle suffered from a Spunky punishment, and died 3 years ago as well...

As much work as they are, we can't imagine life without them...

I visit people with dogs, or dogs who share their people with me... Brady, the most handsome dude in Burlington has gone so far as to be a couch potato with me, cuddle in a single bed, share my meals, and make me feel like the centre of his universe. However, he wants those rawhides or cookies he knows I have somewhere...

And Kia, whose medical mysteries have left me searching at great length for her care... I've never met Kia, but I know her human "Deb" very well...

Today I received a note from an old friend Kim to say her buddy, a giant newf named Sophie had to be put down recently, and how heartbroken she is... I hear ya, and sympathize Kim.

People who love dogs have a special connection in the universe as far as I'm concerned. The puppy people know unconditional love, know sacrifice, and know joy. I offer a prayer to those puppy people, and the canine friends who walk the medicine wheel with them. You do the 4-leggeds proud, and prove to me that the Creator really does understand Love.

No comments: